Wednesday 25 February 2015

Which Course to Take?

When I was in my last year in high school, I had no idea what will happen after graduation. Honestly, I wasn't sure what course to take. I only took two entrance exams from the universities around my town and I didn't even took the exam from the university where I take my high school at. I know, I was too lazy to take entrance exams. But guess what, I have some tips for you on how you should choose your course.

I'm on my fourth year in college now and I would say, most of my classmates who shifted to another course was because Pharmacy was a choice of their parents or other relatives (though some gave up because it is really hard). Mind you, my decision on taking up Pharmacy was also because it was told by my uncle that it is a good course.

So! Let's start on my tips shall we?

KNOW WHAT YOU WANT
Think! Do you want to wear a white coat? Or a black gown? Or wearing a formal attire? Do you see yourself working at the hospital? Or banks? Offices? Schools? What was your childhood dream? Ok, this is hard, I know. But this is the most important thing. Knowing what you want to be as early as your childhood would make it a lot easier for you to decide on what course you are taking. But, your childhood dreams isn't always your dreams. As you get older, there will be circumstances that makes you change your mind and choose this course instead.

KNOW YOUR WEAKNESS/STRENGTH
If you're good in science, go to medical courses. If you're good in math, go to accountancy. If you're good in  drawing, go to an engineering school. Are you expecting me to say that? NO! Well, a lot of people do that but not necessarily everyone. It doesn't always mean that if you're good in something that you actually go for that. One of our teachers says that she's not good in memorizing but she survived pharmacy. Pharmacy has a whole lot of memorization going on. I'm bad at it too. I'm worst at it. But, somehow, it challenges me to strive better and see what I can do to get through it. Knowing your strength would help you understand on where you're good at..

SEEK HELP
Most high school if not all, has their guidance councilors. Ok, even if they are not guidance councilors, just your teachers and friends could help you at school. Then, you have your parents and relatives at home that you could talk to. Spend time discussing to them your concerns. Telling them would gain you advises BUT, you should decide for your own self so that you wouldn't blame anyone if something goes wrong.

TAKE TIME
Choosing your course doesn't only need an overnight. It needs to be thought, over and over and over again. You're deciding for your future. You're deciding on the path you are taking to success. Any decisions made will make a huge difference in the future, so, before deciding, you should really think hard if that is really what you want.

LOOK FOR A SCHOOL
There are lots of universities in the country (you could go overseas if you want). After deciding on what course to take, looking for the best university that would suit you is hard. The first thing that you need to consider is on which universities and colleges does your course offered. Then, on their system on how they could help you to be competent enough on your future profession. Look for their school standing on board exams (especially on your chosen course). Then of course, the tuition fee. Discuss this with the one who's giving you the money for your studies. A more prestigious school may be more expensive. Also, consider the location of the school. Do you want to move away from four family? Do you want to be near them? Distance makes people nuts. I personally hate being alone so I decided to stay on my town with my sister. Hehe.

FINISH IT
You've decided your course, you already know which school to go, now, my last advise is you finish it. Since it is you who decided on the course you are taking, you should stand up for your decisions. You should never give up and strive hard to reach your goals.



That's it guys. I hope these tips helped some of you. Have you decided on what course to take? What course are you taking? Did these tips helped you quite a bit? Write them on the comment box. :)


See you next time.. I'll be posting more so be prepared. :) If you have requests, feel free to comment.


~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment